We’ve all had anchovy butter, and in my opinion there is nothing I’d rather have on top of a really good steak. Well it just so happens, it’s pretty bloody easy to make too. This recipe is from the Hawksmoor at Home book and is absolutely perfect.
You will need (makes a whole bunch, but it freezes very well):
- 125g tinned anchovies (buy a good brand, it really does influence the flavour and texture)
- 250g unsalted butter, diced
- 1 small pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 small pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 small pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small pinch ground cinnamon
- 25ml fresh lemon juice
- 25ml Worcestershire sauce
- 25ml water (I don’t always use this)
Pop all of the ingredients into a blender. Whizz until smooth, That is all. Scoop the smooth mixture out onto flat cling film and roll into a log. This mixture can then be frozen until required.
When you need it, just chop of a 2cm slice and place on top of your steak. A flash under a grill can help it melt if needed. It also goes well on toast. Give it a try and let me know what you would eat it with!