caster sugar, cooking lemon curd, cooking with lemons, dessert, food, grated zest, how to make lemon curd, lemon curd, lemon curd recipe, lemon recipe, making lemon curd, preserving lemons, summer recipe, vegetarian, what to make with lemons
Bright, tasty and delicious either as an ingredient, or just on some toast. When life gives you lemons, you really should be making lemon curd. Here’s the recipe & it’s incredibly easy to make.
You will need (makes 2-3 jars):
- Juice and finely grated zest of 6 lemons
- 200g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 410g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Place the lemon juice, zest in a bowl with the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Sit this bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water. Leave this until the butter is all melted, stirring regularly.
- Once melted, whisk in the beaten eggs. Cook for around 10 minutes, stirring often until it’s thickened.
- Once thickened, run it through a fine sieve, pot in jars, seal and sterilise them (find out how here).
- That’s it! Well done you’ve made lemon curd. It will last for around 3 months in the fridge, but I doubt you’ll resist it for that long.
What’s your favourite way to eat lemon curd? Tell me in the comments, or tweet me: @daveshuffles