American diner, american diners, american dining. cheese sauce, american food, american snacks, best nacho cheese recipe, burger sauce, cheese, chips sauce, dinner, food, nacho cheese recipe, nacho cheese sauce, pickled jalepeno peppers, red bell peppers, spicy nacho cheese, vegetarian
There comes a time in a mans life when it’s fine to cover everything in cheese. Don’t agree? You just haven’t reached that stage yet. Vegan? Well, I’d probably sit this one out. This cheese isn’t like the slices you get, nor is it like the stuff you get in a squeezy bottle. It’s got nothing artificial in it, yet it tastes just like that stuff you get in American diners. Delish!
This is a pretty simple recipe and takes very little time. To top it off, it’ll last about 3-5 days in your refrigerator. Assuming you can keep it there that long. This version was adapted from Tammy’s Recipes, so go wild, and experiment with different combos.
You will need (makes about a litre of sauce):
- 1/2 pack of cream cheese
- 8 oz. strong (tasty) cheddar cheese, cut up into cubes
- 1 and 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup milk
- Hot sauce (I used The Rib Man’s Holy Fuck Sauce from the UK, but any hot sauce would work)
- 3-4 pickled Jalepeno Peppers, diced (can be adjusted to taste)
- 1 small red chilli Pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
2. In a separate bowl mix the flour with 1/4 cup of milk. Mix it through and put to one side.3. Add your hot sauce to taste (I used half a teaspoon as it’s unbelievably hot), the pop in the diced Red Bell Peppers, diced Jalepenos & 1/2 cup milk. Stir and melt mixture. Increase the temperature to medium.
4. When mixture is homogeneous add the last of the milk (not the flour & milk mixture). Mix thoroughly.
5. Finally, mix through the flour and milk mixture and bring to the boil while stirring constantly.
I like this smothered all over burgers, or hotdogs, or even on toast. Of course, it’s also perfect in its true home – with nachos.