What makes a burger dirty? Dropping it on the floor? Or the junk that goes into it? I’ll never know, but one thing I do know. This has got to be up amongst the dirtiest of them all. Whether it’s a 5th July party or you just feel like getting a bit American diner, this is the dream combo. This is my perfect dirty burger. A nacho cheese soaked double down monster with a hearty side of Jalapeno poppers. What more could a man (or woman) need?To start with, get your burgers out of the fridge – they need at least 30 minutes of sitting at room temperature. The trick to a good burger is to buy 100% beef. Don’t mess about with seasoned ones, and aim to get a fairly high fat content, if possible a bit of bone marrow in the mix does a world of good too. You want them nice and thick, and about the size of your bun. If in doubt while looking for good burgers, ask your butcher… or tweet me.
Next up, prep the jalapeno poppers (full recipe and ingredients here). These are the most fiddly part, so get them going first. I love these things so made a good few. They would also be great as a snack for watching football or any other sport for that matter.
The next trick of this burger is to prepare the spicy nacho sauce. It’s fairly easy, and life changing. Find the (full recipe and ingredients here). If you’ve ever eaten in an American diner then you’ll probably know the type of sauce I mean. Never runny, never hard and with a bit of a kick to boot. Delicious.
Ok, we’ve got our junk sorted right? Lets hit up the burgers. Everyone can cook a burger, right? Not always. It’s too often you get a burger that’s cooked to shit. Here’s how to ensure they are perfect every time.
1. Find a Barbeque, or if it’s wet outside, get the griddle pan on. Turn it to the highest heat you can. I mean really hot. Hot enough to burn your hand if it’s even near the heat source.2. Season that meat. Much like a steak, the meat needs seasoning. Dry it off with a paper towel and throw a bunch of salt and pepper on it. Much more than you would expect. Don’t worry, it won’t kill you. The seasoning will stop it from burning.
3. Once the meat is seasoned, don’t mess about. Get it on and leave it there. After about 1.30 to 2 minutes on a really hot grill. Turn it 45 degrees. This will give it those sexy lines we all like to see on a burger.
4. Resist squeezing it down, all of the juices will run out. It’s about time to flip, so whip it over and give it the same treatment on the other side. If you’re burgers are thinner, they may need less time. Thicker, they may need more. If in doubt, use a meat thermometer.
5. After flipping, get those buns on. A toasted bun not only tastes delicious, it also holds together better. A must for when you’re covering your burger in dirty cheese sauce.
6. Take the meat off and rest those suckers. Get a plate nice and warm while you’re grilling your meat. Slap your patties on the plate and pop it somewhere to rest. They will need at least 5 minutes.
7. Construct your masterpiece. A dirty burger requires no green things. Just soft bread and heaps of cheese sauce. Once the patties are cooked, set upon building it up one layer at a time.
So go on, what’re you waiting for? Create an American inspired night of your own. Just be sure to let me know how you get on.